Bytes are a virtual currency added in the Research Update. Bytes are used to purchase/unlock new schematics. Bytes are gained by researching various objects in the Research Chamber ranging from Research Items (high output but rare) to Resources (cheap but low output), or by collecting Research Samples from various plants, rocks or Astroneer bodies. Bytes are shared between all players in a multiplayer game, along with any schematic unlocks.
Research Samples spawn on various plants and rocks around the planets, as well inside of the EXO Dynamics Research Aids scattered on the planets. Organic and mineral samples respawn within a few minutes of being gathered. They can be a valuable source of bytes, with the amount gained increasing based on which planet and how deep the player goes. However, the game is able to glitch and organic/mineral samples may completely disappear from all planets .
Research Items grant a slow, steady stream of bytes when placed in a Research Chamber. The amount gained per item increases based on the depth and which planet the item was found on.
Resources listed here can be researched.
|Resource||Byte Value||Time||Average B/m|
Since soil is readily available on all planets, the soil centrifuge provides an almost unlimited supply of resources that can be researched. This potentially offers virtually free bytes. However, each canister yields only a modest amount of resources and, thus, also bytes.
The table below compares the yield of bytes per canister across the different resources available at the soil centrifuge. Evidently, clay is the most efficient choice in terms of byte output per canister.
|Name||Bytes||Resource Per Centrifuge Tank||Bytes Per Canister|
- A total of 284,050 bytes are needed to research every Schematic in the game.
- Small items can be researched until they have 1 byte left and then consumed/used as usual.
- Medium Resource Canister and Large Resource Canister don't store the value of research bytes left for each item. Thus, by utilizing Automation items, players can create an infinite bytes production flow as follows:
- Switch resource canister to dispensing mode and place dispenced item for researching.
- Detect if item has a negligible amount of bytes left to research. While there is no direct way to do that, a timing mechanism can be constructed which is tied to day/night cycles of specific planets and/or to batteries charge level.
- Switch resource canister to holding mode and store an item.