|This article or section contains information that is out-of-date.
Multiplayer co-op functionality exists within Astroneer for up to 4 players using clients on the same platform: PS4 with PS4, Steam with Steam, Switch with Switch. There is no option for co-op crossplay other than the Windows Store and Xbox versions.
Be aware that:
- Playing in multiplayer mode requires all players connecting to be using the exact same version of the game.
- The host of the game may experience increased performance issues due to their machine having to process a great deal more information.
- Unlocked progress achievements/rewards are not shared with people that join in after it's been completed.
- People joining your game will have to be friended on your platform.
- One player needs to start a game, just like a solo game and be outside of their shelter for a friend to join.
Steam users can only join co-op games with people friended on Steam. It's best to use the Steam client to invite or join friends.
Xbox & Windows 10 Crossplay
To invite another player to your game, you have in to invite them to your game through the Xbox party feature on either the Windows Xbox app or Xbox.
Once they accept the invite it will redirect them to your game. They will be able to tell if they are connected once they see a little house icon on the planet.
PS4 users can only join co-op games with people friended on PS4.
Switch is the newest platform and offers local wireless co-op or Internet co-op with other Switch friends. Switch has no other option for crossplay with other platforms.
Dedicated Servers are available for those wishing to play together, but are on different platforms. They are also useful for those who want to play with more than 4 total players. Dedicated servers allow for up to 8 players. Depending on the platform you play on, and the platform of the person you want to play with, there are some different options.
- Steam and PS4 versions can also rent a dedicated server from Nitrado or Gportal. They also have the option of using self-hosted servers as long as there is a PC available to host.
- Microsoft versions of the game can only use dedicated servers rented from a Microsoft Preferred provider, currently Nitrado or Gportal. Microsoft will not allow connection to self-hosted servers.
- Switch has no option as far as dedicated servers.
- More information for setting up a self hosted server can be found in Discord in #self-host-talk.
- Information on Nitrado and Gportal hosting sites can be found on Discord in #rented-servers-talk.
- There are also some public servers offered through the generosity of some of our community members, and those can also be accessed through Discord.
Finding other players
On the Official Astroneer Discord server, see the multiplayer channels for each platform to find players. Once there post a message in the channel, and other players will message you back via DM, where chat amongst yourselves should continue.