Rovers are used on the surface of planets. This includes the Buggy, Tractor, Trailer, Medium Rover and the Large Rover. Most rovers can be chained together for increased storage and utility by connecting their power cable ports, however, the speed and efficiency of the vehicle decreases as the weight of the vehicle increases.
Rovers need a supply of power, with most having built-in storage to allow for some travel time before a recharge is needed. They can be powered by any combination of modules or power generating parts made by a printer, be it solar, wind, etc.
Rovers also act as an oxygen source while standing nearby but will not supply oxygen to Tethers unless equipped with an Oxygenator. The Buggy is unique in that it only has space for a Rover Seat and spaces for two small items, preferably Small Solar Panel or Small Wind Turbine. A QT-RTG or a Small Generator can also be used to power a Buggy.
Shuttles also act as an oxygen source while standing nearby but will not supply oxygen to Tethers unless equipped with an Oxygenator. Each shuttle has a Tier-2 Attachment Slot with a hologram of an Oxygenator, however, anything can be put in that slot.
- The Hoverboard is a personal mobility device that allows for faster travel than by simply running. It is placed in the player's Backpack and activated when needed. It is driven by electrical Power. It can't be researched, but has to be unlocked via Missions.
- The VTOL (Vertical Take Off and Landing) is a lightweight aircraft that allows to travel long distances by flying over the surface of a Planet. It uses Hydrazine as fuel and has two Tier 1 and two Tier 2 slots for passengers or cargo. It can't be researched, but has to be unlocked via Missions.
- The LREV (Long Range Exploration Vehicle) is the spaceship that brings Astroneers to the Solar system. The player begins their games at the LREV, launching a droppod to the planet below. It is not accessible without the use of Creative Mode.
There are certain items that are meant to be used with (but not restricted to) a vehicle, such as:
- Rover Seat, Large Rover Seat
- Winch, Crane
- Solid-Fuel Thruster, Hydrazine Thruster
- Drill Strength 1, Drill Strength 2, Drill Strength 3
Some of them can be activated using the context buttons (C or V for PC/ or for Xbox/ or for PS4).